Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sometimes its The Best Help You Can Get

There are times that we need help on top of what we are able to do on our own.  Now this is really why public assistance programs are so important.  But thats not really the purpose of this topic and is for another post all together.

This subject is more about the pains of growing up, and increasingly taking over your own responsibillities as an adult.  There is really no getting around it, its something we all have to face eventually.  I would even put it at almost a rite of passage level event in our lives.  The problem Im seeing among many of the younger generation (my God I just made myself feel old) is that many want to push back the timing of when that happens, often relying on thier parents for support well after its reasonable, or even rational to do so.

I often wondered what motivated people in that stage of live to avoid it, in some cases like the plauge.  Now I ended up living with my parents until just before I turned 28.  But that wasnt by choice and it was by no means fun for me.  I needed to have a job.  I needed to have a place of my own.  I needed to have my own space.  I also realized to accomplish those three goals I had in life that I needed to take responsibillity in my life and just do it and not rely on others.  The only reason I ended up living with my parents for so long is because I ran into economic hard times because of the job poor area I was in...and that was before the economic down turn in 2008.  But that was by no means comfortable or acceptable to me.

But sometimes such an issue is self inflicted.  Thats when this mentallity becomes an issue.  I have noticed that many of the young ones are intentionally putting this off.  But I think its appropriate to remind those ones that life eventually will catch up with them one way or another and they will end up with a potentially cataclismac event in their lives.  Living vicariously can be fun but responsibillity has to take precidance in your adult life.  Remember this:  You may want to have fun all the time, but you have to fund that fun somehow and you can not rely on your parents to do it.  Sometimes the best help you can get is no help at all.  Sink or swim life these days largly puts you on your own.  Its up to you to make or break yourself. What direction are you going to choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment